Friday, February 6, 2009

Be Courageous, Ask for help!

Words, speech, just formulating a sentence is something that we all take for granted. But for many children, even adults this simple developmental landmark is a struggle. I have to say that hearing the sentence: “ I want milk” choked me up because it took my son a very, very long time to even say that. As a parent, one worries about many things in the future but the NOW is sometimes left in the dust. But deep down he or she knows if something is not quite right. Denial sets in sometimes, then guilt(“have I not done something right?”) Being a health care professional, I can spot a “dental” problem from a mile away but I felt helpless (AND CLUELESS) about my son and ultimately, the reality is that seeking help was necessary! That’s what I did, because what really mattered was helping him!

My son used to hear 3 different languages at home and an additional one at school. A bit confusing! He absorbed the languages and understood them but did not know how to verbalize—how to really communicate !! He was miserable (usually hunched in a corner away from the rest of the kids) when I would go to pick him up from school, sometimes did not even want to get up to go there. My wife and I spoke with a Pediatric speech language pathologist named Taso (short for Anastasios) who did a very lengthy and thorough assessment first, then came back for a second session and discussed what the problems were and finally proposed his plan and how to implement it. Together, we came to the conclusion that we had to do many sessions to help my son.

I admit, many people like to have a solution for their problem today delivered to them YESTERDAY!!! Believe me, I see it everyday in my praactice! But, sometimes, if you want it solved right, you need some time and thorough planning… so, that’s what we did……. We appreciated the TIME Taso took to explain things. Make a long story short , and after MANY necessary sessions, my son now can communicate with everyone, LOVES going to school, has a SMILE on his face ( I personally LOVE that!)

and I was told today that he lead the CIRCLE TIME while singing( he loves “Head, Shoulders, knees and Toes” song!) And it was all possible because as parents, my wife and I took ACTION, understood the PROBLEM and we got GREAT help and care along the way.

How does this relate to teeth, you may ask? Well very simple: Many times we may feel like there are somethings that are not quite right(chipped teeth, broken fillings, bleeding gums—once in a while) but no real problems (i.e. pain, swelling) but serious problems maybe lurking under the ”surface” in a manner of speaking. We may be in denial, but certainly later the reality will set in (i.e. broken tooth beyond repair, infection, swelling, severe pain) and then it may be too late to correct the problems. We need to be educated about these things (i.e. seek professional help) and at least know for SURE that they’re all right(have an assessment) and if there are any problems, however small, at least have a plan of ACTION. As a professional, I do what I say, Educate my patients( truly, my guests) first! The rest is self explanatory. Here are my gift to you for reading this blog entry: (click on the links 1 and 2)


1. The Dental Disease Report:Myths and truths about dental health finally explained!


2. Consumers' Guide to Quality Care: The 10 Questions You MUST Ask BEFORE Choosing A Dentist!



I hope that you are never faced with any major problems (dental or otherwise!) but at least remember that asking for help is never a sign of weakness! In fact, it is very courageous.

By the way, if you have anyone who is faced with any speech problems or any other related issues I highly recommend Taso. He treated my son, myself and my wife with utmost respect and made a LIFELONG difference in my son’s future! Visit his website for wonderful information on wide variety of issues pertaining to speech & feeding therapy:


www.rightstartpediatrics.com


You can visit our website and related You tube Channel at:

www.NapervilleFamilyDentalCare.com


YouTube channel

No comments:

Post a Comment